So you want to talk disability rights?
The site’s goals are simple
- Give people with disabilities and without tools and information to help them get change.
- Get information and ideas out there to try and change thinking on this issue.
- Provide an information hub that brings together all the useful stuff on the internet that may be hard to track down
On this site you will find:
- A directory of places that anyone can use to promote disability rights on an individual or grand scale. This will be useful for people with disabilities, carers, and outraged community members.
- A directory of resources for students, academics and professionals thinking that they want to explore disability issues. This will be particularly good for social scientists and lawyers since that is where I’m coming from, but anyone doing an assignment might want to think twice before they dismiss these resources. Usually people just don’t think of how disabilities are related to something…but they usually are.
- A series of blog posts dealing with a variety of disability issues in Australia in a down-to-earth way. Each one tries to include a combination of useful information, links to resources, and ideas for how the reader can act on what they have read.
I set up this site after working on some disability self-advocacy and systemic advocacy materials for a disability NGO and doing a bunch of research on disability rights at law school. I do it on my own time with my own research for free. My position is simple: the state of disability rights in Australia is appalling. We are 100 years behind people of colour and women and yet ignorance is wilful and widespread. That’s what the picture represents. Personally, I subscribe to all the values enshrined in the UNCRPWD.
- THIS SITE IS MY OWN WORK AND OPINION. IT DOES NOT REPRESENT ANYONE ELSE’S VIEWS.
- NOTHING ON THIS SITE CONSTITUTES FORMAL LEGAL ADVICE.
- THIS SITE CANNOT SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL HELP. IN SERIOUS DIFFICULTY CONTACT A SOLICITOR, ADVOCATE OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL. SEE THE DIRECTORY FOR SOME PLACES TO START